The University Day Planning Committee is incorporating some new elements into University Day 2013, to be held Wednesday, April 10, as we continue to think of ways to increase campus and community involvement in the annual event. We have:
- Moved the annual University Day Distinguished Lecture to Tuesday, April 9, at 7 p.m. in the Campus Center (the night before University Day), to serve as a kick-off for University Day rather than a finale to an already very long day.
- Expanded the interdisciplinary poster session, which will be held in the Campus Center on the morning of University Day. This event will serve as just the right academic start to the day’s activities (and there will be food and beverages to get you going!). We will be accepting more posters for inclusion in this session to provide an even wider variety of subjects and research topics for attendees to explore. The committee will provide training and other support in making and printing posters to be displayed during the poster session.
- Established presentation awards for best posters, talks, and students exhibits. Getting judged will be optional and conducted by faculty, staff and community members. We hope this will add something well-deserved for the 10-20% who get an award to list on their resumé.
- Tightened the schedule to allow for at least 36, 25-minute talks (with 5 minutes for questions), and plenty of space for poster presentations. This will give participants a chance to see a wider variety of talks in many disciplines and allow us to wrap up by mid-afternoon. Also, by making the talks 30 minutes versus 60 minutes, we will be taking advantage of a more typical length for conference presentation talks.
- Returned to the policy of having faculty complete the (now online) submission forms. This should help to prevent missing information, late submissions, etc. The online forms can be edited as needed, but, once the deadline has passed, further edits will not be able to be accepted so the program can be prepared in time.
For questions, feedback, or suggestions about the submission process, please contact University Day Planning Committee Chair Dr. Jason Johnston at
. The submission deadline is Monday, March 4, at 9 a.m. You may follow the link here to make your submission (you will need to login with your UMS password):
We look forward to your submissions!