We suggest, if at all possible, that you cross at the Perth-Andover, New Brunswick /Fort Fairfield, Maine Border. This crossing is only 12 miles from the University and we have good relationships with the Immigration Officials assigned there.
Note: If you are bringing any valuables (electronic equipment, photography equipment, computer, etc.) to the U.S., be sure to stop at the Canadian Border Office to register them with Customs; otherwise, you may be charged tariffs upon returning to Canada.
Bring the following documents when entering the U.S. for the first time to attend the University of Maine at Presque Isle:
- Form I-20SEVIS fee receipt
- Passport ( http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/whti-ivho/menu-eng.html)
- Photo Identification or Birth Certificate
- $6.00 (U.S. funds) to cover the cost of the Student Visa processing fee
- Your acceptance letter to the University of Maine at Presque Isle
- Financial Documents (all loan papers, bank statements, etc.) that show you have the necessary funds to support yourself while you are in the U.S. attending school.
At the U.S. Border Crossing, the Immigration Official will take the I-20 Form, process it and return your I-20 with an I-94 card attached to it. We recommend that you make copies of your I-20 and I-94 card. NOTE: Keep your original I-20 and original I-94 card with you at all times and place the copies in a safe place.
- Stop at the Canadian Border Office to declare valuables you are taking to the U.S.
- Give the U.S. Immigration Official the Form I-20, photo ID, Sevis fee receipt, and any other requested documents and pay $6.00 (U.S. funds) for the processing fee.
- Form I-20 will be processed and returned to you with the I-94 card attached to it. Place these documents in a safe place.
- Be advised that your vehicle and personal belongings may be subject to search.