Are there any scholarships or financial assistance for Canadian students?

YES! Below is information about our Canadian Scholarships as well as a link for outside financial assistance.

The University of Maine at Presque Isle believes that the presence of Canadian students enriches the educational experiences of all University students.

Canadian Merit Awards

These awards are for students who have not earned an undergraduate degree.
$4,000 to students with a Canadian academic average of 80 or above.
$2,000 to students with a Canadian academic average of between 70-80.

Ambassador Scholarships

The University has established the Ambassador Scholarship Program. Ambassador Scholarships, which range between $500 to $1,000 (US), will be awarded to first-time freshmen Canadian students. The recipients must demonstrate academic potential and have a record of involvement in school or community activities. 

Link to financial aid for Canadians:

What immunizations do I need?

Maine State Law requires that all students who are enrolled full-time or part-time in a degree program or who are taking at least 12 credits through the Continuing Education Department, show proof of immunity to the following infectious diseases: Measles (Rubeola), Rubella (German Measles), Mumps (MMR), if born after December 31, 1956, and Tetanus/Diphtheria (TD) for all students regardless of age. The University is not allowed to permit a student to be enrolled or to attend classes without a certificate of immunization or other evidence of immunity. The presentation of acceptable proof of immunization or immunity must be made prior to a student’s attendance in class or participation in other activities conducted by the University.

As a Canadian student will I be able to work?

There are limited jobs on campus and special situations when the U.S. Government gives approval to work off campus. Contact International Student Services for more information.

Do I need to bring a computer on campus?

You don’t need to bring a computer on campus. We have several computer labs on campus as well as computer kiosks for you to stop and check your email! 

What is an F1 Visa?

The F1 Visa is a student visa that is used by foreigners of non-immigrant status. This visa allows you to enter and remain in the United States for the purpose of studying at an approved school.

Do I need medical insurance?

Yes, if you don’t have an insurance policy already in place when you come to UMPI, then you need to have the insurance that the University provides. This insurance is offered at the beginning of each semester and you should purchase it at the beginning of the school year. A copy of your provincial insurance card will exempt you from the University Insurance Program. 

How many classes are taught by teacher’s assistants?

There are no classes taught by teacher’s assistants. One of the benefits of UMPI being a smaller university is that you’ll be taught by faculty, have smaller classroom sizes and have more time with your professors.

What’s a good way for me to meet new people and get involved?

There are over 30 different clubs and organizations, including an International Students Club, that you can join. From athletics to the arts, dance to criminal justice, there are a variety of ways that you can get out there and get involved. You can become a reporter for our school newspaper, the U Times, or even have your own show on the school radio station, WUPI. If you can’t find anything that you’re interested in, start your own club! UMPI is the home of the Owls--so go to our games, cheer on the home team, and become part of the Blue Crew! 

I might need some help with some of my classes. Is that something that I can get there?

Yes, there is a great tutoring staff available for all classes. Professional tutoring and peer tutoring are offered free of charge to our students. There is also a writing center to help with all stages of the writing process. They help with everything from brainstorming ideas to helping revise a completed paper.

What should I bring with me for my dorm room and is there anything that I should know about bringing items across the border?

We have a detailed list of items that you might want to bring with you. For more details, go to: Have a list of the items that you’re bringing with you that can be checked if needed.

Household and electronic items being brought across the border should be registered at the Canadian Customs. This will aid in the process of taking them back into Canada.