Are there any child care provisions?

Circle of Learning is the name of the preschool located on campus here at UMPI. Click here to learn more.

After being out of school for so long, I’m sure I’m going to need some help. What type of support does UMPI provide?

There is great tutoring staff available for all classes. Professional tutoring and peer tutoring is offered and is free of charge. There is also a writing center to help with all stages of the writing process. They help with everything, from ideas and outlines to revising your completed paper.

Are there counseling services on campus and is it free?

The Counseling Center provides confidential counseling in areas such as coping skills, conflict resolution, relationships, stress management, and decision making. Academic counseling is also provided to aid students as they transition through the academic curriculum. This is free of charge and confidential. When additional help is needed, consultation, support and referral to community agencies and local professionals are provided. Ralph McPherson serves as the University's counselor. To contact the center, call 207-768-9791.

What happens if I fail a class? Will I have to pay back the money?

No, that class will still count towards your degree, even if it’s in a negative light. The GI Bill® will pay if you want to retake the class again to gain that credit or raise your grade. For a more detailed answer, go to

What happens if I drop a class?

That would depend on when you dropped the class and why. If a class is dropped after the drop period and you’ve received a failing grade, it’ll reduce your benefits. That could change depending on why you dropped the class. If you do decide to drop a class, you must notify your school certifying official. For a more detailed answer, go to

Can I transfer benefits to my dependents?

If you are a member of the Armed Forces as of August 1, 2009, and eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill®, the Department of Defense (DoD) may offer you the opportunity to transfer benefits to your spouse or dependent children. You must still be active when you transfer your benefits. For further information please go to the following website:

How do I order my military transcripts?

To request your official military transcript, visit the Joint Services Transcript (JST) website.

I am married and have 3 children. Is there any on-campus housing available?

Yes, UMPI has duplex housing available for families located at Skyway north of the campus. If you need this type of housing, please contact Residence Life at 768-9587 for details.

Can I use my education benefits to pay for licensing and certification tests as well as CLEP, SAT and GRE?

Yes, but they are not paid directly. You must seek reimbursement from the VA. For more information go to:

When will I receive my benefits from VA?

Once you’ve submitted your VA Request for Certification to the School Certifying Official and your enrollment information is entered into the VA system, it could take up to 6 weeks for the VA to process your enrollment. Bear in mind that the VA is generally overwhelmed with enrollments at the start of each semester, so your patience is appreciated. The VA will process all the enrollments in the order of the date received.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at