PLEASE NOTE: Effective July 1, 2012 the College Board fee will increase to $80.
Approved policy for the acceptance of credit for the College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
CLEP tests are administered by the Counseling Center under the auspices of the College Board. The university sets its own minimum passing scores for each exam and determines which courses will be allowed credit by examination. Please review the following policy information before registering:
- Duplicate credit may not be granted. For example, credit may not be granted for passing an examination in a field in which a student has already taken the equivalent courses or a more advanced course, nor may credit be granted for the examination if the student subsequently takes the equivalent course.
- CLEP tests will not substitute for the general education core requirement unless the course substitution specifically indicates a core course.
- CLEP tests are administered on campus by appointment only.
- Students registered for CLEP tests in any given month will be sent a reminder notice of the date, time and place of the testing one week prior to administration.
- Students wishing to transfer CLEP credits to a university other than University of Maine at Presque Isle should request that institution's CLEP policy. Please note that each university establishes its own requirements for minimum scores and credit awarded. This policy states the policy of the University of Maine of Presque Isle and may not apply or be consistent with other university policies.
- If you plan to test at the University of Maine at Presque Isle and apply the credit to another institution, please contact the university where you plan to submit scores for that university's policy on CLEP credit.
- A candidate must complete the CLEP test application form. Payments for the test(s) are collected on the day of the test(s). If you submit a paper form the complete form should be sent to John Harrington to register for the test.
- The test center number for the University of Maine at Presque Isle is 3008.
- Each CLEP exam costs $77.00 (U.S.) payable to CLEP plus a $20.00 (U.S.) administration fee payable to UMPI.