Full-time, regular, exempt position
Unit & Classification: Non-Represented
Reports To: The HHEC Center Director reports to the UMPI Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs with secondary reporting responsibilities to the UMS Director of Distance Education.
Supervises: Staff – Currently include: 1 – full-time Coordinator of Student Services, 1- full-time Administrative Assistant I, 1– part-time regular Distance Education Technician I, and 1 – part-time regular Physical Plant staff member, National Able Network Volunteers, Community Service placements and UMPI work-study students.
Functional relationships: Works closely with College Chairs, Admissions, Public Relations, Registrar, Financial Aid, Academic & Counseling Services, and other departments as necessary. Outside of the University, the Center works with all Center Partners (Northern Maine Community College, Houlton/Hodgdon Adult Education and the Carleton Project).
Position statement: The Houlton Higher Education Center Director is responsible for the planning, development and monitoring of UMPI and University College activities, academic courses and programs in the Center’s geographic area in conjunction with the appropriate Campus Officials. This also includes establishing and maintaining effective public relations and linkages, overseeing all functions of the Center, making recommendations to the UMPI Provost and the Director of Distance Education. The Center Director is responsible for creating an atmosphere and approach to customer service that places the interest of the student first.
Major duties (Essential Functions):
• Plans, develops and monitors UMPI and University College activities, academic courses and programs in the Center’s geographic area.
• Coordinates with UMPI College chairs in the programming of live and online courses and program development.
• Monitors and supervises students support services and academic support services to extended site.
• Maintains a 6 credit hour or equivalent instructional schedule annually within a qualified discipline.
• Supervises and evaluates a building equipment maintenance program in conjunction with UMPI officials.
• Monitors the collection of money and handling of business office transactions for the Campus.
• Establishes and maintains effective public relations linkages with appropriate businesses, industry, educational and community agencies as appropriate for credit and non-credit programming.
• Coordinates the use of public facilities such as public schools for the purpose of offering courses and workshops; assists in the coordination of Early College programs and course offerings with area public schools.
• Recommends and implements a marketing plan in conjunction with the marketing directors of UMPI and University College.
• Plans and monitors financial matters and budgets to carry out the operation of the Center.
• Coordinates with part-time University faculty teaching at the Center. Identifies adjunct faculty to teach UMPI and UMA credit and non-credit courses.
• Facilitates the evaluation of adjunct faculty teaching at the Center with College chairs; may also participate in the evaluation process of individual faculty.
• Identifies resource people from the community to provide instruction for credit and on-credit courses in conjunction with Campus Chairs.
• Develops and implements a recruiting and retention plan in coordination with departments and personnel on the University Campus.
• Monitors and supervises registration procedures.
• Develops and monitors operational goals and objectives.
• Supports new initiatives that are responsive to community needs.
• Manages expenditures within the approved budget levels.
• Monitors compliance of the UMPI Memorandum of Understanding with the Houlton Center Partners.
• Attends monthly meeting of Center Directors for University College.
• Works with UMPI and UMS communities to create seamless opportunities and services for all students attending HHEC, including library, financial aid, transfer, technology service, etc.
• Performs other allied duties as assigned by the UMPI VPAA and UMS Director of Distance Education.
Budget Responsibilities: Responsible for development and adherence to Houlton Higher Education Center budget.
Campus/University Service: Service on a variety of campus and system committees and groups as requested.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: A Center Director must have excellent time management skills; demonstrated effective instructional skills or previous teaching experience within a specified discipline; the ability to manage multiple priorities, excellent supervisory skills; excellent leadership skills, including the ability to foster a team atmosphere among staff; a basic understanding of how to manage a large physical facilities; the ability to collaborate with UMPI/UC staff on a regional marketing effort; and understanding the needs and issues related to learners of all ages; knowledge of the University environment, with a focus on student services; excellent oral and written communication skills; the ability to network with local schools, agencies and businesses; and basic understanding of budgeting. The Center Director must be able to work without close supervision; to work effectively with Campus administrators regarding scheduling and key issues, and must be proactive in promoting the Center as a valuable University resource in the region. The Center Director should be knowledgeable in distance education and willing to learn how to navigate and learn through a variety of technologies.
• Master degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Demonstrable instructional skills or college level teaching experience.
• Good oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to work independently as a member of Campus and the University College Executive Council.
• Three (3) to five (5) years of relevant professional experience, which includes at least one (1) or two (2) years of supervisory experience.
• Computer Literacy.
Barbara B. Lambert
University of Maine at Presque Isle
181 Main Street
Presque Isle, Maine 04769
The University of Maine at Presque Isle is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age disability, protected veterans status, or any other characteristic protected by law.