Including projected Seniors and 2nd Year Associate Degree students:
Are you planning to complete your degree requirements in May or August of 2017? If so, you need to submit your Application for Degree by November 30, 2016.
Applications for December 2016 potential graduates are due NOW.
The application is now online. Login to the UMPI Portal and click on Academics>Academic Policies/Forms or just click this link Application for Degree. (If you’ve already submitted a paper form to the Registrar’s Office, there’s no need to submit the online form. Your professional advisor will be in touch with you about your Degree Completion Plan appointment. If you’re not sure, go ahead and submit the online form, to be safe).
Why Do I Need to Apply for a Degree?
Completing an Application for Degree allows the following to happen:
- An appointment with your professional advisor to review your degree completion plan to ensure your path to completion
- Your Degree Status Report and Degree Completion Plan will be forwarded to your faculty academic advisor for review and signatures
- Information regarding Commencement, Caps, Gowns and Announcements will be mailed in late March, 2017
- Your name will be included in the Commencement Program and on lists of graduating seniors being considered for awards or other recognitions
- Commencement list to be approved by Faculty Assembly in April
Neglecting to apply and meet with your professional advisor may delay the awarding of your degree.
Commencement and Degrees
Students who submit their Application for Degree by the November 30, 2016 deadline, and who have a completed Degree Status Report signed by their advisors and the Registrar will be allowed to participate in the May 2017 commencement ceremony. Once students have completed all degree requirements, the Registrar’s Office will issue a transcript and award the degree.
Students will receive a diploma that will be dated the August, December or May following the actual completion of degree requirements. Diplomas are awarded only three times per year.
Commencement Participation Policy
Students lacking no more than six semester hours of credit toward completion of all degree requirements OR who have a single internship or practicum worth no more than fifteen credit hours (which are graded on a pass/fail basis) may participate in the commencement ceremony in May. Either shortfall should be completed by the following December. Students meeting this policy must submit an Application for Degree by the November 30, 2016 deadline.