The Higher Education Opportunity Act requires that each campus report on fires in student housing as well as publish a fire safety report which is to be available to the public after October 1 of every year. A copy of the annual report is available upon request. Contact the Residence Life Office located in the Emerson Hall Annex for more information.
1. Log of fires in student housing during the last three years. The log for the current year is available at the Residence Life Office in the Emerson Hall Annex.
Summary of Log: We had no fires in the Residence Hall during 2010. No loss of life, injuries, or property damage occurred during 2010.
|Date/Time||Building/Location||Cause||Injuries /Deaths||Description of Damage||Property Damage (Estimate)|
Reports were not required for in 2008
2. Description of the fire safety equipment found in each residence hall:
|Building||Fire Alarm System||In room Smoke Detectors||Heat Detectors||Sprinkler System||Fire Extinguishers|
3. The number of fire drills held during the previous calendar year:
- One fire drill was held each semester in each residence hall. A total of 2 per building per year.
4. Description of the institutions policies or rules on portable electrical appliances, smoking, and open flames in a student housing facility:
- Only approved electrical appliances may be used in student housing. More details on the policies and rules on electrical appliances and open flames are found at: http://www.umpi.edu/files/current-students/reslife/pdf/res-hall-guide.pdf and http://www.umpi.edu/current-students/residence-life/what-to-bring
- Smoking is prohibited in all University buildings including housing. More details at: http://www.umpi.edu/files/current-students/reslife/pdf/res-hall-guide.pdf and http://www.umpi.edu/student-life/844-student-handbook#tobacco-use
- Candles and open flames are prohibited in student housing. More details at: http://www.umpi.edu/files/current-students/reslife/pdf/res-hall-guide.pdf and http://www.umpi.edu/current-students/residence-life/what-to-bring
5. The institution’s procedures for student housing evacuation in the case of a fire:
- Students are required to evacuate housing immediately in case of fire. More details are located in the Guide to Campus Living – Fire Policies at: http://www.umpi.edu/files/current-students/reslife/pdf/res-hall-guide.pdf
6. Description of the policies regarding fire safety education provided to the students and employees:
- Fire Safety training is provided by the Presque Isle Fire Department in the Fall Training period for all Residence Life Staff members. This training includes proper use of fire safety equipment, proper evacuation techniques, and methods of identifying whether or not a room is safe to enter.
- Additional student policies are included in the Student Code of Conduct. More details can be found at the following links:
- Residence Hall Guide: http://www.umpi.edu/files/current-students/reslife/pdf/res-hall-guide.pdf
- What to bring: http://www.umpi.edu/current-students/residence-life/what-to-bring
- Policy Manual, Student Conduct Code at www.maine.edu/system/policy_manual/policy_section501.php
7. For the purposes of including fires statistics in the annual fire safety report, a list of the titles of each person or organization to which students and employees should report a fire is:
- Any of the 13 Resident Assistants (Current staff as of September 15, 2011. Although names may change the rooms and phone numbers will remain constant.)
- Bryan Jennings, Emerson 109 (768-9714)
- Justin Fereshetian, Emerson 117 (768-9715)
- Matthew Nadeau, Emerson 201 (768-9716)
- Cassie Green, Emerson 216 (768-9717)
- Courtney Cray, Emerson 301 (768-9718)
- Chris Moore, Emerson 316 (768-9719)
- Jennifer Steeves, Merriman 109 (768-9710)
- Dustin Cray, Merriman 203 (768-9707)
- Elizabeth Bousquet, Merriman 303 (768-9709)
- Cooper Plaisted, Park 104 (768-9703)
- Stephanie Pemberton, Park 211 (768-9704)
- Carly Langley, Park 311 (768-9705)
- Joshua Conroy, Skyway 02 (760-2162)
- Any of the three Professional Staff members in Residence Life
- Jannie Durr, Assistant Director of Residence Life; Emerson Hall Annex (work hours), AC Apartment Emerson Hall (after hours), 768-9706 (w) or 551-0521 (c)
- Vanessa Pearson, Coordinator of Student Activities and Leadershipo Development:104 Campus Center (work hours), AC Apartment Park (after hours) or 768-9582 (w) or 551-0522 (c)
- Jim Stepp, Assistant Dean of Students/Director of Residence Life, Emerson Hall Annex (work hours), B2 Park Hall (after hours), 768-9560 (w) or 551-9150 (c)
- Physical Plant 768-9576 (work hours), 768-9600 (after hours)
- Presque Isle Fire Department: 911
8. Plans for future improvements in fire safety, if determined necessary by the institution.
- None at the time
9. Link to Clery Safety and Security Report: http://www.umpi.edu/security