Crime Prevention and Personal Safety General Tips:
- At night, if at all possible, don’t walk alone, stay in well lit areas, and populated areas. (Avoid short cuts) Always let a friend know where you are and where you’re going.
- Learn your surroundings (Street names, building names, where emergency callboxes are located, etc…)
- Always make sure your vehicle windows are up and doors always locked. Avoid leaving valuables inside or visible within your vehicle.
- If living on campus make a second copy of your car key. If you lock yourself out of your vehicle you will have a spare key available in your room.
- Always lock your bicycle or motorcycle when leaving it unattended. (Even if unattended for a minute.)
- If you witness a crime, something out of the ordinary or just suspicious, don’t hesitate to call the Campus Safety & Security office at (207-768-9580) or PIPD (207-764-4476).
- Don’t ever leave valuables unattended (purses, wallets, laptops, cameras, book bags, etc…).
- Never leave a party or a bar with someone you just met
- Never accept mixed drinks or open drinks from anyone.
- Immediately report any type of property damage (Example: broken windows, locks, door, etc…).
On-Campus Living Student Tips:
- Never leave your door propped, not even for a minute (Example: going to the bathroom or across the hall to see another resident).
- Never allow strangers or unauthorized people into your room.
- Learn who your Resident Assistants and how to contact them.
- Learn who lives in your building and report any unattended unauthorized person within your Residential Hall.
- If a guest is visiting you for the night, always escort them around and remember you’re responsible for their actions and behavior.
- Never let strangers or unauthorized people into your Residential Hall.
- Never hitchhike or pick up hitchhikers
- Protect your property by labeling everything with your name or initials (Example: text books, DVDs, electronics, clothes, laptops, etc…)
- If bringing a firearm on campus, IMMEDIATELY register it and leave it with the Safety & Security Office in Emerson Annex. Please click here to review the UMPI Firearms Policy.