When you plan to attend the University and bring with you previously acquired information and skills, we work to ensure that you get credit for that prior learning. Our Prior Learning Assessment process allows us to grant college credit to you through a number of different methods, including:
- ACE [American Council on Education] – Courses recognized by the American Council on Education though taught by non-accredited training organizations can receive UMPI credit.
- Challenge Exams – This involves faculty developing examinations that may be administered to students wishing to demonstrate mastery of course subject material in order to earn equivalent credit.
- CLEP and AP – The University supports nationally accredited and recognized examination options such as the College Level Examination Program [CLEP] and the Advanced Placement Examination Program (AP), both offered by the College Board
- DANTES – Referred to as military CLEP and guided by ACE.
- Military Service Credit / DANTES – The University provides academic credit for specified military service and experiences.
- Portfolio Assessment – Students compile a body of evidence to demonstrate their learning and/or mastery of a particular subject. UMPI charges $50 per credit hour for assessment and processing costs.
Turning your prior learning into college credits ensures that you can start your college career with us focused on the classes you’re ready to tackle, and complete your degree as quickly and affordably as possible. Please peruse our PLA webspace for more details about how this process works. And if you have questions, please contact our Registrar’s Office at 207-768-9581 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.