Leo L Saucier
Coordinator of Physical Education; Faculty Athletic Representative
- Department: College of Professional Programs, Physical Education
- Campus Address: 108 Gentile Hall
- Phone: (207) 768-9421
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
EducationB.S., Slippery Rock University, 1983
M.Ed., Valdosta State University, 1992
Leo earned a B.S. in Health and Physical Education from Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania in 1983, where he also played NCAA Div. II baseball. He entered the U.S. Navy in 1984, served 4 years of active duty as a Hospital Corpsman (Medic) and another 2 years on inactive reserve. After military service he earn a Master’s Degree in Education in Physical Education from Valdosta State University in Valdosta, Georgia. After teaching and coaching Middle School and High School in Georgia for 6 years, Leo was hired by Valdosta State University as a P. E. instructor and supervisor of Physical Education student-teachers, he also directed all aspects of the activity course program. He taught at VSU for 3 years, then spent a year at the University of New Mexico. Leo, a native of Millinocket, Maine was hired at the University of Maine at Presque Isle for the 2000 – 2001 academic year; he has spent the last 21 years preparing future physical education teachers. Additionally, Leo coached the UMPI baseball team for several years and now serves as the Physical Education Teaching program Coordinator and has recently launched a Minor Degree program in Athletics Coaching.
Areas of Expertise
Methods of Teaching K-1 Motor Learning and Performance Athletics Coaching Baseball Coaching
- Provides 10 online courses to assist employed teachers interested in a PET certification.
- Coordinates with local schools to bring groups of elementary students onto campus to engage in movement opportunities.
- Supervises an advisory group of physical education teachers tasked with improving the physical education experience.