Whether your aim is to prepare the next generation of young people for personal and professional success or to share your love of learning with children, the Education degrees we offer here will help you to achieve your goals.
The University offers a Bachelor of Science degree in Elementary Education (K-8), Secondary Education (7-12), and Physical Education (K-12). UMPI also offers a Bachelor of Arts in Art Education degree (K-12) and a Special Education Paraprofessional Associate of Arts degree.
Each program consists of a General Education Curriculum, a Subject Area major, a sequence of Professional Education courses, and Student Teaching and Field Experience. The programs are undergirded by the beliefs and values our faculty hold about teaching and teacher preparation. These beliefs and values are articulated in a Conceptual Framework. The University's Education programs are approved by the Maine Department of Education, and our Education faculty members prepare our teacher candidates to meet Maine Initial Teacher Standards and Maine Learning Results.
There is a Post-baccalaureate route to each of the programs that is designed for individuals who hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited university but seek initial teacher certification. Post-baccalaureate teacher candidates range from individuals who have no experience in teaching to those who have experience as teacher aides, tutors, or paraprofessionals.
- Elementary Education, BS - Art Concentration
- Elementary Education, BS - Early Childhood Education Concentration
- Elementary Education, BS - English Concentration
- Elementary Education, BS - French Concentration
- Elementary Education, BS - Mathematics Concentration
- Elementary Education, BS - Science Concentration
- Elementary Education, BS - Social Studies Concentration
- Elementary Education, BS - Special Education Concentration
- Secondary Education - Biology, BS
- Secondary Education - English, BS
- Secondary Education - French, BS
- Secondary Education - Mathematics, BS
- Secondary Education - Social Studies, BS
- Art Education, BAAE
- Physical Education - Teaching, BS
- Special Education Paraprofessional, AA
- Minor Programs: Educational Studies