Student teaching is the capstone component of the teacher education program at the University of Maine at Presque Isle. It is a time when students are guided into challenging new identities as beginning teachers. The quality of the student teaching placement, the professional growth student teachers acquire, and their future attitudes and beliefs about teaching and learning are all greatly influenced by the experience.
Eligibility Requirements for Student Teaching
Prior to student teaching, the student must:
- Be admitted into an Education Program.
- Complete a minimum of 90 credit hours of course work including the required professional education sequence (all methods courses must be completed before student teaching).
- Formally apply to the Director of Student Teaching and Field Experience at least one semester prior to placement and be approved by departmental faculty. Note: Formal applications are available in the Office of Student Teaching and Field Experience.
- Have a 3.0 GPA cumulative average (minimum); have a 3.0 GPA in the subject area major AND the professional sequence; have a 3.0 GPA the semester prior to student teaching.
- Have satisfactory evaluations in all prior field experiences.
- Achieve qualifying scores on the Praxis I & Praxis II exams or have signed waiver and permission from Coordinator of Student Teaching. For more Praxis information, go to the Educational Testing Service site.
- Have a Professional Portfolio under construction.
- Possess and maintain good health.
All candidates for the bachelor’s degree must complete the General Education Curriculum.
The following handbooks and forms were designed to guide students and their supporting mentors. Information relating to university policies and guidelines, roles and responsibilities, and specific ideas and activities to enhance the experience are included. Further information may be obtained by contacting the Coordinator of Student Teaching and Field Experience at (207) 768-9437.