Academic Maps Our Mission: The UMPI Education program seeks to prepare reflective educators who are dedicated to teaching and learning, who have an understanding and appreciation of the synthesis of theory and practice, who recognize the value and importance of collaboration and relationships, and who possess and demonstrate proper ethical and professional dispositions.
Whether your aim is to prepare the next generation of young people for success or to share your love of learning with children, our Education degrees will help you to achieve your goals. The University offers a Bachelor of Science degree in Elementary Education (K-8), Secondary Education (7-12), and Physical Education (K-12), all of which include an in-depth Student Teaching and Field Experience. The programs are undergirded by the beliefs and values our faculty hold about teaching and teacher preparation, which are articulated in our Conceptual Framework. The University’s Education programs are approved by the Maine Department of Education, and our Education faculty members prepare our teacher candidates to meet Maine Common Core Teacher Standards and the Maine Learning Results.
UMPI offers several other Teacher Certification Pathways. Whether you’re a certified teacher looking to renew or add a certification, or if you already have a Bachelor’s degree and want to become a certified teacher in Maine, we can assist you in the process. We also have a Canadian Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Education route that is designed for those who hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited university but seek teacher certification in Canada. Post-baccalaureate teacher candidates range from individuals who have no experience in teaching to those who have experience as teacher aides, tutors, or paraprofessionals.
- Elementary Education, BS – Art Concentration
- Elementary Education, BS – Early Childhood Education Concentration
- Elementary Education, BS – English Concentration
- Elementary Education, BS – Mathematics Concentration
- Elementary Education, BS – Science Concentration
- Elementary Education, BS – Social Studies Concentration
- Elementary Education, BS – Special Education Concentration
- Secondary Education – English, BS
- Secondary Education – Life Science, BS
- Secondary Education – Mathematics, BS
- Secondary Education – Physical Science, BS
- Secondary Education – Social Studies, BS
- Physical Education – Teaching, BS
- Special Education Paraprofessional, AA