At UMPI, we offer several different pathways for you to become a certified teacher in Maine. In addition to the traditional pathway of a standard four-year Bachelor of Science in Education degree, we offer multiple courses aligned with State of Maine teacher certification requirements. This allows for you to pursue initial or additional certifications at your convenience, while receiving support and guidance from us along the way.
I don't have a degree, but I want to teach
I am already a certified teacher and want to renew or add a certification
Talk to us about class and training options to get recertified or to add a certification.
To get started, call Shara Page at 207-768-9419 or email email@example.com.
I have a Bachelor's degree (in any subject area from an accredited university) and want to get Maine teacher certification
- Refer you to the MDoE Initial Teacher Certification website so you can apply for your certification
- Request a copy of your MDoE Evaluation
- Schedule a meeting (phone or in person) to review evaluation with you
- Explain what classes meet the needs indicated on the evaluation
- Create a map for completion
- Explain the Financial Aid options
- Direct you to Student Records for course enrollment
I am a Canadian student
- Explain how UMPI’s Canadian Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Education Program works
- Provide link to our Canadian Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Education Program webpage; application form is available for download
- Once matriculated, we will conduct an enrollment/advising meeting with you.