The Geo-Ecology Club was founded in about 1973, originally as the Geology Club; the name was changed to GeoEcology Club in 1990. The Club is one of the greatest and the most active clubs on the campus. The Club is dedicated to learning more about geology, ecology, and other earth and environmental sciences issues. The Club typically sponsors a number of great field trips and visiting speakers, and attends professional conferences and meetings held in New England during the year. Students from any majors are welcome to join the Club and have fun with other club members. To join the Club, please contact the club officers (see who they are and their email addresses below).
The Club meets every Thursday at 12:00 in the Geology Laboratory, Folsom 302. (Email club officers for accurate meeting schedules). Dr. Kevin McCartney serves as the adviser for the Club.
The Club has participated in:
- NEIGC conference
- Geological Society Maine fall and spring meetings
- field trip to Bathurst Mine of New Brunswick of Canada
- field trip to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada.
- NE-GSA meeting
- field trip to the Mars Hill Mountain to see the windmill construction and to learn the Mars Hill Mountain geology
- Banquet for UMPI Distinguished Lecturer Series speaker Dr. Paul Mayewski of UMaine