Dear UMPI community,
I’m very pleased to share the news that, due to the very smooth transition we’ve had so far and keeping current federal and Maine CDC guidance in mind, we’ll be opening specific campus buildings up to the public sooner than originally planned. The Campus Center, Gentile Hall (except for the pool), and the first floor of the CIL will be opening to the public on June 1. Our plan is for the pool and the second floor of the CIL to open to the public on July 1, but we’ll be sharing more information in mid-June to keep you updated. In the meantime, here are more details about campus plans for summer.
Return to Work
Planning for return to work is still underway at the System level and details will be shared with campuses soon. At this point, we are still aiming for a July 1 implementation date. For now, campus work situations will continue for faculty, staff, and students as they were functioning during the spring semester, unless a change has been or is approved by your supervisor. If you are currently working remotely, but need to visit campus, please complete the one-time temporary campus access request form
Plan June 1-June 30
– Campus, including the Campus Center, Gentile Hall (see below for specific info on the pool), the first floor of the CIL, and the Houlton Center will be open to members of the campus and public, as long as they are participating in weekly testing, can show proof of being completely vaccinated, or have a negative test within 72 hours of coming to campus or the Houlton Center. Employees and students who are fully vaccinated can report their status by filling out the volunteer vaccination submission form here
– Health and safety protocols, including wearing face coverings while inside campus buildings, will continue. Face coverings are no longer required outside, and social distancing and capacity limits no longer need to be maintained inside or outside.
– For Gentile Hall, spaces that will be open to campus and the public include the multi-purpose gym, climbing wall, elevated track, and exercise room. The pool will be open to faculty, staff and students only during the month of June. This will be for lap swim only and reservations will be required.
– Campus Center access will be by request/permission only. Please contact Lydia Kieffer-Till for more information.
– The first floor of the CIL will be open to the campus community and the public.
Plan July 1 through the end of summer
– Campus properties will continue to be open to members of the campus and public, as long as they are participating in weekly testing, can show proof of being completely vaccinated, or have a negative test within 72 hours of coming to campus or the Houlton Center.
– Gentile Hall will open the pool to the public on July 1. This will be for lap swim only and reservations will be required.
– The CIL will expand access, opening up the 2nd floor of the building to the campus community and the public.
– The wearing of face coverings is expected to continue. If this changes, we will send follow-up messaging.
– There will be greater public access to the Campus Center, with community groups able to host events in our conference spaces. These activities will be closely overseen by our Conferences and Special Programs office.
We are looking forward to this sooner-than-expected opening of campus spaces and appreciate the steps you have taken, or are taking, to get your COVID vaccinations so we can best keep each other safe and prepare for an as-close-to-normal fall semester as possible. Please look for more information from me in mid-June. Until then, stay safe and healthy.