About College Level Exam Program (CLEP)
The College-Level Examination Program® (CLEP) helps you receive college credit for what you already know, for a fraction of the cost of a college course. For more information about college credit, click here.
CLEP recognizes that students may have acquired knowledge equivalent to that taught in introductory college level courses through work experience, reading, research, or other activities. By demonstrating knowledge through CLEP, a student may qualify for college-level credit without having to attend the course. The University of Maine at Presque Isle follows the guidelines recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE) for awarding students credit for CLEP. Test credit is applied according to UMPI transfer credit policy at the time the scores are received and are normally posted to the student transcript within three weeks of the exam.
CLEP Testing at UMPI’s Testing Center
The University Testing Center is an open testing center, that is, any candidate from UMPI or other institution, who is properly registered, may test here. UMPI’s Testing Center administers all CLEP examinations, however, UMPI accepts only selected CLEP exams. Before registering for CLEP exam(s), be sure to check with your academic advisor or the Registrar’s Office to ensure you will receive credit. Not all CLEP examinations fulfill General Education and/or academic requirements. To view the list of CLEP exams accepted/credited by UMPI, click here.
Each CLEP is a 90-minute, computer-based, multiple-choice exam. Acceptance of CLEP exams varies among institution. Advanced permission may be required for CLEP examinations, so be sure to check with your academic advisor or the Registrar’s Office before registering for a CLEP.
Generally, CLEP exams are administered at UMPI on the second Friday of each month. Additional testing days may be added during times of high volume. Other testing times may be available by appointment only and upon availability of the proctor for an additional fee.
Registrations forms are accepted (upon availability) until one week prior to the posted test dates. Once we receive your completed registration form, you will receive a confirmation email with the date selected, time and pertinent information prior to the selected test date. All communication from the Testing Center is conveyed through email.
There are two separate non-refundable or transferable payments for each CLEP exam; an administration fee payable to UMPI and an exam fee payable to CLEP. The administration fee is to be submitted when you arrive at the testing site and may be paid by cash, check, money order or major credit card. Once you arrive at 232 Preble Hall, you will be given a card to take to the Student Financial Services Office for payment. When you return with a receipt, you will be able to begin testing.
NEW!!! CLEP now requires candidates to create an account online and pay the $89 examination fee via their portal. We recommend registering with the Center prior to paying the examination fee to ensure availability for the selected testing date.
- To create an account with CLEP visit: https://clep.collegeboard.org/started (refer to Step 3).
Once you make your payment, you must print your CLEP rregistration ticket to present at check-in; without this ticket, you will NOT be able to take the exam.
2019-2020 Test Dates
Please register at least one week prior to the testing date.
- Thursday, March 5, 2020
- Thursday, April 9, 2020
- Thursday, May 7, 2020
Thursday, June 4, 2020
Thursday, July 9, 2020
Thursday, August 6, 2020
Friday, September 11, 2020
Thursday, October 8, 2020
Thursday, November 5, 2020
Thursday, December 10, 2020
Thursday, January 7, 2021
Thursday, February 4, 2021
Thursday, March 4, 2021
Thursday, April 8, 20201
Thursday, May 6, 2021
Tests will be offered at 9 a.m., 11 a.m., 1 p.m.
Contact us to register for a CLEP exam:
B.A.S., University of Maine at Presque Isle, 2013
A.A.S., Northern Maine Technical College, 2001
UMPI administers all CLEP examinations however, UMPI accepts only selected CLEP exams.
If you are not a UMPI student but are interested in taking CLEP, please refer to your institution’s CLEP policy.
Preparation and Study Materials
Please visit the College Board Website for more information.
Arrive 15-minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time. Examinees arriving more than 15-minutes late may not be admitted and will forfeit any costs paid.
- Bring your CLEP registration ticket sent to your email.
- Bring the $30 administrative fee. All transactions are non-refundable.
Two forms of identification are required to take a CLEP exam. The primary ID must be a government-issued photo ID. The ID must include the candidate’s name, signature, and a recognizable photograph.
Acceptable forms of primary identification include:
- Current passport with name, photograph, and signature
- Valid driver’s license with name, photograph, and signature
- State or Province ID issued by the motor vehicle agency with name, photograph, and signature
- Military ID
- National ID with name, photograph, and signature
- A tribal ID card
- A naturalization card or certificate of citizenship
- If the student is a minor and unable to provide a primary government-issued ID, then the College Board ID Form must be used for the primary ID.
The College Board ID Form is available online here or you can contact CLEP Services at (800) 257-9558 or email@example.com. for information on obtaining the College Board ID Form.
Acceptable forms of secondary identification include:
- An unused ID from the primary choices above
- A current student ID
Note: If you have questions about the ID policy, contact CLEP Services at (800) 257-9558, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Unacceptable ID Documents
The following documents are not acceptable forms of ID for the CLEP examinations:
- Credit or debit cards of any kind
- Social Security card
- Employee ID
Please visit the Exam Day Info page of the CLEP website for more information.
Use of the following items in the testing room is strictly prohibited unless an approved exception has been specified by CLEP services at (800) 257-9558.
- Calculators (a calculator function is built into the software for those tests that require calculator use)
- Listening devices including, but not limited to cellular phones/pagers, beepers, walkie talkies, PDAs, or wireless communication devices (e.g., smartphone, tablet, mp3 player)
- Any device capable of recording audio, photographic, or video content, or capable of viewing or playing back content, through such means as digital cameras or video cameras
- Food, beverages, or tobacco products
- Hats (unless worn as a religious requirement)
- Hooded sweatshirts or sweaters
- Calculator watches
- Digital watches (wrist or pocket), alarm watches, or wristwatch cameras
- Dictionaries, books, pamphlets, reference materials
- Papers of any kind (except for authorized scratch paper provided by the center).
- Slide rules, protractors, compasses, rulers
- Highlighter pens and/or colored pens and pencils
- Copying devices
- Transmission or receiving devices
- Mechanical pencils or any type of pen
- Nonmedical electronic devices (laptop computers, digital assistants)
- Flash/thumb drives or any other portable electronic storage device
- Candidate-provided keyboards
- Any other unauthorized testing aids
- Weapons or firearms
- Backpacks, fanny packs, briefcases, bags, purses, wallets, outdoor wear, and any other personal items should be placed in a locker outside of the testing room.
- Personal identification, including photo ID
- Official CLEP scratch paper provided by TREC
- Nonmechanical pencils provided by TREC
- Headphones (foreign language exams only)
A CLEP examination may be repeated six months or more after the original test. Scores on tests repeated earlier than six months will be canceled and test fees forfeited. The waiting period provides test-takers an opportunity to spend additional time preparing for the exam or the option of taking a classroom course.
You will receive an unofficial score report immediately upon completion of your CLEP exam. However, the College Composition Modular with Essay for UMPI credit will be scored by the college’s faculty. It may take 2-3 weeks after the test date for scoring. Test-takers will receive a letter by mail regarding test results. A score recipient (college or university) that is selected through the software on the day of the exam will receive one report free of charge after the test. If you do not select a score recipient, you will have to pay a $20 transcript fee for the service at a later date. Please visit the College Board Website for more information. Additional CLEP transcripts can be obtained for a $20.00 fee by contacting College Board/CLEP directly.
If you designate UMPI as the recipient of your official CLEP transcript, it will take approximately 4-6 weeks from the date of request through College Board/CLEP for the UMPI Registrar’s Office to receive and process your scores. Please contact the Registrar’s Office directly at 207-768-9581 if you need to check on receipt of an official CLEP transcript.