Area of expertise: Big Data Analysis
Associate Professor of Computer Science and Curriculum Development Specialist
B.Eng., Shah Jalal University of Science and Technology, 1998
Ph.D., University of Melbourne, 2007
Dr. Hassan received his Ph.D. in Computer Science and Software Engineering in 2007 from the University of Melbourne. He worked at King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals for more than 10 years as a full-time faculty member before coming to UMPI. He is an expert in machine learning and data science with applications to biomedical, financial and reservoir engineering, network security, and big data analysis. He has 3 U.S. patents, another U.S. patent submitted, and has authored many journal and conference papers. He’ll be working to secure accreditation for the UMPI Computer Science program with ABET (the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, Inc.).
- COVID-19 – Outburst prediction: Developed an automated computational system to predict the total number of expected COVID-19 patients tomorrow/next week/next month.
- COVID19 diagnosis from CT-Scan/X-ray
- Breast Cancer diagnosis/prognosis
- Protein/gene identification for drug discovery
- Stock price prediction
- Big data analysis and knowledge discovery: Developed a number of computational methods to analyze big data and extract knowledge that are important for efficient management of a business/company (e.g., prediction of good customer of a bank)