Area of expertise: Multicultural education
Professor of Social Foundations of Education and Social Studies Education
- Department: College of Professional Programs, Education
- Campus Address: 212 South Hall
- Phone: (207) 768-9429
- Email: email@example.com
EducationB.A., Theological Seminary, 1989
M.A., Adam Mickiewicz University, 1993
(Non-degree) Postgraduate Studies, Georgetown University/The George Washington University, 1996
Ph.D., Adam Mickiewicz University, 2002
Tomasz Herzog was awarded a Ph.D. in Educational Studies and Master’s degree in Sociology at Adam Mickiewicz University (Poznań, Poland). He also completed postgraduate studies in Civic Education and Educational Leadership at Georgetown University and The George Washington University.
He has been a Professor of Social Foundations of Education and Social Studies Education at the University of Maine at Presque Isle since 2006. Previously, he has also held research and teaching positions at Adam Mickiewicz University (Poland), SUNY at Buffalo (Buffalo, NY), Empire State College, and Gratz College (USA).
Areas of Expertise
Social foundations of education Social studies Civic education Multicultural education Political and social post-Holocaust Polish Jewish history Holocaust education
- co-founder – the Poznań chapter of the Poland-Israel Friendship Association,
- co-founder – “Otwarta Rzeczpospolita” (Open Republic – Association against Anti-Semitism and Xenophobia).
In the USA
- Board of Directors member – the Maine Council for the Social Studies
- Dr. Herzog actively participates in the life of the Jewish community in Maine
- Affiliated Faculty – Judaic Studies, University of Maine (Orono)
- MA thesis advisor – Holocaust and Genocide Studies, Gratz College
- Review Board member of the following peer-reviewed journals:
- “Dyskursy Młodych Andragogów” (publisher: University of Zielona Góra, Poland); -“Collaborations: A Journal of Community-based Research and Practice” (publisher: Miami University, OH & Rutgers University, USA)
- “The Journal of Social Studies Research” (publisher: The International Society for the Social Studies, USA).
- Former International Advisory Board member – a peer-reviewed “Przegląd Politologiczny” (Political Science Review), (publisher: Adam Mickiewicz University, Poland).
- Former International Advisory Board member – the Maryland Council for the Social Studies, – Former Academic Advisor – The Mark and Gail Appel Program in Holocaust and Antiracism Education – “Learning from the Past, Teaching for the Future” (The Centre for Jewish Studies and The Canadian Centre for German and European Studies, York University in Toronto, Canada).