The underlying mission of the Provost’s Council is to ensure that the Vision of the University is most effectively carried out: namely, that UMPI will design with each student a personalized, technologically innovative education and prepare each graduate for a professional career, global contributions, and lifelong learning.
To achieve this mission, the Provost’s Council will:
- inform the Provost and other members of the Provost’s Council about academic and student issues and unit-specific decisions that have University-wide implications;
- ensure that all faculty and staff are an integral part of personalized learning;
- ensure that students experience an integrated and transformative PBE learning environment in curricular and co-curricular activities;
- ensure that retention practices are aligned and consistent with the university’s mission and vision;
- discuss and make recommendations on University-wide issues and strategies;
- make recommendations on issues specific to academic and student policy and practice;
- engage in strategic and financial planning to provide students with an excellent academic experience and high quality student services that are consistent with the institution’s mission and vision;
- discuss new programs and initiatives; and
- organize and share annual assessments and plans for each unit.
The Provost’s Council will
- oversee the implementation of university-wide decisions related to academic affairs, student affairs, and all areas of student development;
- communicate these decisions fully with the campus community;
- seek agenda items, advice, and counsel from constituents.
Provost’s Council members serve at the invitation of Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and Student Affairs.
- Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and Students Affairs (chair)
- Dean of Students
- Director of Advising
- Director of Student Support Services
- Director of Library Services
- Director of the Learning Commons and Student Success
- Director of the Houlton Higher Education Center
- Chair of the College of Professional Programs and Education
- Chair of the College of Arts and Sciences
- Director of Institutional Research (or appropriate designee)
- Administrative Assistant (minutes)
The Personalized Learning Steering Committee
Charged with oversight of the delivery of all PBE initiatives within the entirety of the university curriculum, including curricular and co-curricular areas. Membership includes Provost (chair), Dean of Students, Director of Center for Innovative Learning, Director of Advising, Registrar, College Chairs, and representative faculty.
Student Success Advisory Committee
Charged with organizing, unifying, and streamlining all retention and graduation initiatives on campus. Membership includes Provost (chair), Dean of Students, Director of Student Support Services, Director of Center for Innovative Learning, Director of Advising, Director of Student Life, Director of Career Preparation and Employer Relations, College chairs and representative faculty.