Why Choose UMPI if you're considering a Recreation concentration?
The University of Maine at Presque Isle is located in Maine's beautiful north country with accessibility to numerous lakes, rivers and other picturesque natural features.
Here are just a few reasons you should choose UMPI:
- Recreational facility with a 40-foot climbing wall, pool, gymnasium and running track.
- Small classes that allow and encourage abundant student/faculty interaction.
- Caring community of students, faculty, and staff.
- Special research opportunities for undergraduate students.
- Four-season recreational opportunities in a clean and safe rural environment.
- Wide choice of co-curricular offerings, from athletics to academic clubs to student organizations.
Why Choose Recreation?
Our concentration offers students:
- A comprehensive curriculum that prepares students for a variety of careers in both the public and private sectors of Recreation and Leisure Services.
- A comprehensive internship program that requires students to get experience in a field that interests them.
- Opportunities to travel as far away as Alaska and participate in jobs ranging from white water rafting and working in National Parks to running community recreation programs and camps.
- Practical and applied applications of outdoor recreation, recreation management and community recreation.
- Faculty that care.
Part of the UMPI mission is to provide students with an academic, intellectual and physical adventure. The Business Administration Program plays an important role in fulfilling the University Mission. Through practical and applied learning experiences, we provide students with opportunities to become leaders in our field.
Learning Objectives for students in the program include:
- Students will learn the major recreation and leisure services institutions and gain the professional skills needed to work in these environments—profit, nonprofit, and government agencies.
- Students will be able to discuss leadership theory, demonstrate leadership abilities, and articulate a personal and professional vision of leadership.
- Students will be able to develop and implement program plans for a variety of agencies and constituents.
- Students will develop skills in backcountry trip planning, design, implementation and assessment.
- Students will apply recreation and leisure service theories and philosophies in an internship setting.
Contact us now to find out how to join the adventure!