As part of our commitment to the security and safety of our students, faculty and staff, we have incorporated several systems into the campus and foster relationships with local entities to assist with those measures. We:
- monitor video surveillance cameras in Presque Isle and at the Houlton Center.
- control access to the Residence Halls by the use of electronic door locks, to which students can gain entry with the use of their individual identification cards within our electronic card access control system.
- offer “Safety Walks” to all members of the campus community (including full-time and part-time faculty, staff, students, and visitors) who need assistance, or would feel additionally secure, moving from one area of campus to another. Contact us at 207-768-9580 to make any needed arrangements.
- provide students with the ability, via an online database, to register their “personnel property.”
- have an Emergency Action Plan in place should the need arise.
In addition, students, staff and faculty are highly encouraged to sign up to receive notifications on their mobile devices via e2Campus, an online service, when classes are cancelled or if there is an emergency on campus.
The Security and Safety Office maintains a close working relationship with the Presque Isle, Caribou, Fort Fairfield, Washburn, Houlton, and Ashland Police Departments and with the Aroostook County Sheriff’s Office along with the Maine State Police. Through interagency agreements between local, county and State agencies and the Security and Safety Office, any reports of criminal activities associated with students or organizations off campus are shared or reported to the UMPI Security and Safety Office. These reports are subsequently shared with the appropriate University administrators and offices.