We are glad that you are interested in attending the University of Maine at Presque Isle! We want to make sure you have all the information you need to study in the United States, specifically at the UMPI! To start the application process, please follow the checklist below.
Students who are citizens of other countries are welcomed at UMPI and are encouraged to apply for admission. In order to comply with University admission policies and regulations of the Immigration & Naturalization Service of the United States, students from other countries need to fulfill the following requirements:
- Submit a completed application (application, essay and recommendation letter, if you are a non-traditional/transfer student you do not need to fill out the High School Activities List or send a letter of recommendation).
- Fill out our online system application
- Essay: You may write about any topic you would like- Why you want to attend UMPI? Why you have chosen a certain major? Why you love your pet? ANYTHING! But, Please....Write about something you are PASSIONATE about and be sure to PROOF READ before submitting!
- Letter of Reference: This may be from a teacher or guidance counselor.
- Pay $40 non-refundable application fee. Pay online when filling out the application OR mail us a check OR pay the fee over the phone (207.768.9533) with a credit card.
- Official high school transcripts (Transcripts need to be translated into English equivalency if not in English.)
- Official college transcripts, if applicable. Non-United States transcripts must be evaluated and translated into English equivalency (if not in English) at one of the following agencies:
Center for Educational Documentation
PO Box 199
Boston, MA 02117
World Education Services, Inc.
PO Box 5087
New York, NY 10113-0745
- Take TOEFL exam in home country. A minimum score of 197 computer-based/530 paper-based, and 71 internet-based is required in order to be considered for admission. Students may be admitted with a TOEFL lower than 530 if acceptable proficiency in English can be demonstrated. UMPI also accepts IELTS with a score of 6.0. Students who come from English-speaking countries can have this requirement waived.
- After the review of your application, the admissions office may also need additional materials (an additional letter of reference, writing sample, etc.) or may request an inteview.