Thank you for your service!

Now let us explain how we can be of service to you! We want to be a part of your future. UMPI can help you put the finishing touches on a degree that you have already started or we can help you work on a new degree. Follow the links to get started today!

Especially for veterans, please check out the Yellow Ribbon Program

Resources for Veterans

Our Veterans Services page has a list of useful information and resources.


After being out of school for so long, I'm sure that I'm going to need some help. What types of support does UMPI provide?

There is a great tutoring staff available for all classes. Our Learning Commons offers Professional tutoring and peer tutoring free of charge. It also provides one-on-one tutoring for writers at all levels of course work to help with all stages of the writing process. The center staff help with everything from coming up with an idea for something to write to helping revise a completed paper.

Are there counseling services on campus and is it free?

The Counseling Center provides confidential counseling in areas such as coping skills, conflict resolution, relationships, stress management, and decision making. Academic counseling is also provided to aid students as they transition through the academic curriculum. This is free of charge and confidential. When additional help is needed, consultation, support and referral to community agencies and local professionals are provided. Ralph McPherson serves as the University’s counselor. To contact the center, call 207-768-9791.

What happens if I fail a class? Will I have to pay back the money?

No, that class will still count towards your degree, even if it’s in a negative light. The GI Bill® will pay if you want to retake the class again to gain that credit or raise your grade. For a more detailed answer, go to https://gibill.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1434.

What happens if I drop a class?

That would depend on when you dropped the class and why. If a class is dropped after the drop period and you’ve received a failing grade, it’ll reduce your benefits. That could change depending on why you dropped the class. If you do decide to drop a class, you must notify your school certifying official. For a more detailed answer, go to https://gibill.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/400.

Can I transfer benefits to my dependents?

If you are a member of the Armed Forces as of August 1, 2009, and eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill®, the Department of Defense (DoD) may offer you the opportunity to transfer benefits to your spouse or dependent children. You must still be active when you transfer your benefits. For further information please go to the following website: https://gibill.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/940/kw/Dependents%20and%20Spouses%20Education%20benefits

How do I order my military transcripts?

To request your official military transcript, visit the Joint Services Transcript (JST) website.

I am married and have 3 children. Is there any on-campus housing available?

Yes, UMPI has duplex housing available for families located at Skyway north of the campus. If you need this type of housing, please contact Residence Life at 768-9587 for details.

Can I use my education benefits to pay for licensing and certification tests as well as CLEP, SAT and GRE?

Yes, but they are not paid directly. You must seek reimbursement from the VA. For more information go to:http://gibill.va.gov/resources/education_resources/programs/licensing_and_certification.html

When will I receive my benefits from VA?

Once you’ve submitted your VA Request for Certification to the School Certifying Official and your enrollment information is entered into the VA system, it could take up to 6 weeks for the VA to process your enrollment. Bear in mind that the VA is generally overwhelmed with enrollments at the start of each semester, so your patience is appreciated. The VA will process all the enrollments in the order of the date received.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.