Veteran Services

Veteran Services

Welcome Veterans! Thank You for Your Service and for the Service of Your Family Members!

UMPI’s Veterans Services is an on-campus resource for veterans, service members, and their families. You will find a wide range of courses, degrees and services available to you at our campus and at the Houlton Higher Education Center.

Hundreds of Veterans, National Guard members, and active military personnel are enrolled in courses and degrees while still serving, many of those courses taken via distance education.

UMPI has been ranked several times by U.S News as one of the Best Colleges for Veterans (2014, 2015 and 2016)

Our (SCO) School Certifying Official is located in the Registrar’s Office 122 Preble Hall.

Please do not hesitate to contact us by email or phone 207/768-9540.

Useful Information and Resources

  • Application for Undergraduate Admissions is easy and free.
  • In-state tuition rate for veterans, active duty service members and eligible dependents (One of the following documents is necessary for eligibility: VA Certificate of Eligibility, DD-214 (Honorable Discharge)
  • Apply for your VA Education Benefits. The VA will send you a Letter/Certificate of Eligibility. Please be sure to send a copy of your Letter/Certificate of Eligibility to the School Certifying Official.
  • New students utilizing their VA Education benefits must submit either their Certificate of Eligibility, which can be obtained online, and/or a copy of your Application for VA Benefits (VA Form 22-1990) or Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (VA Form 22-1995) to the Certifying Official in the Registrar’s Office before their enrollment may be certified.
  • Student Military Mobilization and Activation Policy
  • All students seeking VA education funding must complete the Veterans Request for Certification form prior to the beginning of each term.
  • To talk with a VA Education Benefits Counselor call the VA Education Call Center at (888) 442-4551.
  • Credit for Military Training & Experience
    • Veterans of US military service may receive credit for learning gained through documented military training and experience. Applicants should submit a copy of their military transcript which can be obtained online.
    • Air Force: Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) Transcript
  • Contact the Maine Bureau of Veteran’s Services (MVBS) and self-identify as a veteran to ensure access to all benefits to which you are entitled.
  • The Maine Veterans’ Benefits and Resources Guide provides information on a broad range of benefits.
  • Access and your VA & DoD Benefits 24/7
  • Military Tuition Assistance
  • College Guide for Veterans & Active Service Members