Facilities Maintenance Supervisor
Adjunct Faculty, Lecturer III
M.A., Ball State University, 1976
B.S., University of Wisconsin at Stevens Point, 1975
Science Spec & Tutor Coordinator
Associate Professor of Computer Science and Curriculum Development Specialist
B.Eng., Shah Jalal University of Science and Technology, 1998
Ph.D., University of Melbourne, 2007
Dr. Hassan received his Ph.D. in Computer Science and Software Engineering in 2007 from the University of Melbourne. He worked at King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals for more than 10 years as a full-time faculty member before coming to UMPI. He is an expert in machine learning and data science with applications to biomedical, financial and reservoir engineering, network security, and big data analysis. He has 3 U.S. patents, another U.S. patent submitted, and has authored many journal and conference papers. He’ll be working to secure accreditation for the UMPI Computer Science program with ABET (the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, Inc.).
- COVID-19 – Outburst prediction: Developed an automated computational system to predict the total number of expected COVID-19 patients tomorrow/next week/next month.
- COVID19 diagnosis from CT-Scan/X-ray
- Breast Cancer diagnosis/prognosis
- Protein/gene identification for drug discovery
- Stock price prediction
- Big data analysis and knowledge discovery: Developed a number of computational methods to analyze big data and extract knowledge that are important for efficient management of a business/company (e.g., prediction of good customer of a bank)
Professional Academic Advisor/Student Services Coordinator
B.S., Merrimack College, 1981
A.S., Northern Essex Community College, 1975
Professor of Social Foundations of Education and Social Studies Education
M.A., Adam Mickiewicz University, 1993
(Non-degree) Postgraduate Studies, Georgetown University/The George Washington University, 1996
Ph.D., Adam Mickiewicz University, 2002
B.A., Theological Seminary, 1989
Tomasz Herzog was awarded a Ph.D. in Educational Studies and Master’s degree in Sociology at Adam Mickiewicz University (Poznań, Poland). He also completed postgraduate studies in Civic Education and Educational Leadership at Georgetown University and The George Washington University.
He has been a Professor of Social Foundations of Education and Social Studies Education at the University of Maine at Presque Isle since 2006. Previously, he has also held research and teaching positions at Adam Mickiewicz University (Poland), SUNY at Buffalo (Buffalo, NY), Empire State College, and Gratz College (USA).
- co-founder – the Poznań chapter of the Poland-Israel Friendship Association,
- co-founder – “Otwarta Rzeczpospolita” (Open Republic – Association against Anti-Semitism and Xenophobia).
In the USA
- Board of Directors member – the Maine Council for the Social Studies
- Dr. Herzog actively participates in the life of the Jewish community in Maine
- Affiliated Faculty – Judaic Studies, University of Maine (Orono)
- MA thesis advisor – Holocaust and Genocide Studies, Gratz College
- Review Board member of the following peer-reviewed journals:
- “Dyskursy Młodych Andragogów” (publisher: University of Zielona Góra, Poland); -“Collaborations: A Journal of Community-based Research and Practice” (publisher: Miami University, OH & Rutgers University, USA)
- “The Journal of Social Studies Research” (publisher: The International Society for the Social Studies, USA).
- Former International Advisory Board member – a peer-reviewed “Przegląd Politologiczny” (Political Science Review), (publisher: Adam Mickiewicz University, Poland).
- Former International Advisory Board member – the Maryland Council for the Social Studies, – Former Academic Advisor – The Mark and Gail Appel Program in Holocaust and Antiracism Education – “Learning from the Past, Teaching for the Future” (The Centre for Jewish Studies and The Canadian Centre for German and European Studies, York University in Toronto, Canada).
Campus IT operations Manager / Instructional Designer
B.L.S., University of Maine at Presque Isle, 2013
A.S., Northern Maine Technical College, 1986
Professor of English
M.A., University of Pittsburgh, 1989
Ph.D., University of New Hampshire, 1998
B.A., College of the Holy Cross, 1987
Facilities Maintenance Worker
Academic Success Coach; Adjunct Faculty, Lecturer I
B.A., University of Maine at Presque Isle, 2022
B.A., University of Maine at Presque Isle, 2013
- Easton School Board Budget Committee
- George J. Mitchell Scholar